Thursday, March 1, 2012

Essential Oils , Babies and Sleep


Not all essential oils are safe for babies and nearly all essential oils should be mixed with another oil before applying directly to you or your baby's skin.

Here are a few that I carry in a mist (body oils coming soon!) that can be safely used for babies. I highlighted the ones that were especially calming. 

These would be good used as a pillow spray for a baby who is having trouble sleeping.

Spraying a mist on baby’s blanket before you nurse will help him associate the calming scent with the scent on his or her bedding.

Here is the list of what I carry.  Maybe you need a special blend on YOUR pillow! *


Sweet Orange - Anti-anxiety, antidepressant, digestive aid, calming, nerve sedative.

Lavender -Antiseptic, antibiotic, analgesic, antidepressant, healing,
Relaxing.  Useful for infantile colic and helps treat thrush.

Peppermint –Analgesic, antiseptic, cooling, decongestant, digestive aid and sedative. Useful for fever, colds and nausea.

 Clary Sage - Antiseptic, antidepressant, antispasmodic and relaxant.

Geranium - Antiseptic, antidepressant, astringent, refreshing, uplifting.


The above are all safe for Babies! :)

 Which Two Scents mists do I recommend?  A combination of Lavender and Sweet Orange is my choice for babies. Lavender is soft scented, sweet and calming and has long been used to help both adults and babies sleep. Sweet Orange is uplifting but not stimulating. It has properties that calm and sooth nerves. 

*These are the ones that I currently have, but I would also recommend chamomile and neroli. I will update when I have those available. 


There are more essential oils that work well for adults needing sleep support. Stay tuned for that blog!


Thanks for reading my Two Scents!


Theresa

 
"A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book."  ~Irish Proverb


No comments:

Post a Comment